lonely walk...
Was sitting here listening to Hao Xin Fen Shou by Candy Lo and Wang Lee Hom. Very catchy song. And touching too, I presume. It would be, if I understood it. But since I don't. Oh well.
This morning on the way to college, we passed by this kid girl walking on the main road. My dad stopped to ask her where she was going. Seems that she was left behind by the bus. So she was walking to Lick Hung. Yeah, it's kind of a kinky name, to think about it. Not that I usually think about it. Anyways, Dad was very kind and we drove her there. Assembly was already going on in that place. And as we left, I just thought about how military it felt. Now, I have nothing against people going to Chinese schools, especially since I know many people from Chinese schools. They're very nice people, verily. It's just that I have this thing against anything regimented. From the people I know from Chinese schools, I must say a large majority of them seem to lack a certain spark. I don't know what it is. But it's just, I don't know.
I asked a few people once, what was it like in Chinese schools. Interesting. I'm sure many of you know, as quite a number of you have been through the system. And while I'm all out for learning a language and all, it's how they run it that disgusts me. It's little point trying to break a kid's spirit so early in their lives. Is it any wonder that we're seriously lacking creativity these days? I'm fortunate to have met a number of extremely creative and witty Chinese school students. Those are the special few. The majority have suffered severe crushing blows to mental processes. The people in charge say it's the only way to teach them so much in such a short time. True. But why do little children need to learn so much in such a short time? We complain that children don't respect their elders anymore. With treatment like this, is there any reason to?
A mistake borne out of love does not excuse the action. You may say that the parents had only the child's interest in mind. Okay. I'll buy that. So when your children dump you to rot in some old folks homes, it will be in your interest, too, right? Since they know they cannot possibly give you all the attention like you couldn't give them the attntion when they were small kids, they might as well dump you where the people are trained to do it, right? Utter bullcrap.
Of course, I might be wrong. But when I am, it's usually closer to the truth than most people would like to admit. It's a pretty high price to pay to learn a language, if that's your objective in the first place. Some parents do it because other people say it's the right thing to do. That is a nice excuse, except for the fact that these are your children, not other people's. Make your own decisions. Meh.
Aih. The common debate is that they turned out just fine. Oh? Is that so? I don't really say they are entirely fine. I mean, I will also agree that government schools are also full of crap, and that they are the other end of the spectrum, where we tend to be more lazy, and Chinese schools are regimented concentration camps (like literally squeezing tons of students in one puny room). There's no excuse for either. Moronic behaviour is inexcusable. Moronic behavious due to love is therefore even more inescusable. I mean like absolutely moronic, like retarded. Not moronic, like cute. That is fine. Up to a point. Meh.
Keith said I'd make a lot of enemies being the way I am. Haha. Funny. I HAVE made a ton of enemies. As far as I can guess anyway. But the trick to keeping the peace is having two qualities: being more valuable than you are annoying, or being irreplacable in which case you can be as annoying as you like. I've lived through life long enough for me to get enough enemies who would like to destroy me, and the thing is they've either not enough guts to try, or they have failed with utmost miserableness.
I hate posting in draft. It's like eating a half baked cookie. Meh.
Jin out.

1 comment:
I'm a Chinese School product. And yes...it does seem to you that the creative kids don't often seem to be Chinese School products huh? Here's why i think it is. You don't see the creative, rebellious ones. The creative ones are the ones who end up in places like APIIT or UTAR...(ie in less expensive institutions) and they mix with their own group. The ones that you do have contact with may verily be the super hardworking ones cos they overcome their language barrier by their sheer makan buku spirit...who may seem to be less creative as a result of being a disadvantaged minority in an english speaking majority. our society's system sucks i know.. cos it places advantage on the english speaking majority in private colleges. I don't believe the oppresive chinese school system really quashes creativity... (ah hem...to sound really mean look at the ah lians dressing....) you just havent met the more creative ones.
Post a Comment