Saturday, December 17, 2005

islanders...

Okay, okay. Details, details.

Had a barbecue. Invited random people over, and random people came. Of note are the exploding coals, the running about, the raining, the half cooked food, the REALLY LATE guest and some other things. Not enough photos to make it interesting, so I won't post them. Go harass Asy if you want them.

Dad sprung a rather surprising trip to Penang on us. Okay, fine. It was only me that was surprised. I only really knew that we were going somewhere.

Old town filled with old buildings and old people. Kinda like KL if you ask me.
We passed through Ipoh first for their smooth noodles or something. Kinda like kway teow, but smoother. Apparently. Me, I can't tell the difference. And Ipoh chicken rice, if the one I had was anything to go by, is nothing to be hyped about. Looked more like chicken LICE to me.
OCK is old alright.
If anything, I did find the ORIGINAL Old Chang Kee shop. But I find the one in 1Utama makes better curry puffs.
The thing about colourless reflections is that excess fat is not so obvious. For some reason.
And camwhoring. Mwahahaha.
Super kawaii!
Him too.

I'm sure the Circle is very Happy.
And also a Happy Circle. Like, what the fuck?

If anything, they have interesting shops that sell things like this:
Fragile: if dropped, may break. Like, duh.

Here's a curious sight:
Only a government building.
This is a lone standing government building. We saw it near a toll plaza. It had NOTHING around it, although that's not obvious in the picture. No buildings. And it was tall. Only the government could approve something that bizarre or pointless.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel. Unless it's at night.
One thing I must note about the northern states is that they have lotsa rocks. Like big rocks. So big that they get in the way and we must drill big holes through them so we can drive through. Kinda like sperm through a, nevermind.

One of the first things of amusement we noticed while on the island was:
Interesting bedfellows these two...
I don't know HOW, but somehow these two make an interesting pair.

It's not in California.
The Sunway Hotel, Penang. A watered down version of the 5 star wonder that is the Sunway Hotel, Sunway.

Maybe it's something about the island or something, but another strange, and in this case, downright disturbing, first sight. This is in the hotel lobby:
OUCH!$!)*@$*@(&!
Like, what the fuck? I think my lens cracked.

If anything, there was a Christmas tree to sanitize that blasphemous vision.
Why would anyone put a tree on the table?

Ah. Finally. The room. And unfortunately, me.
I started a project in which I held my camera at groin level, and just snapped at random. This was to have a cock's eye view of the world. After reviewing the products, I concluded: my cock doesn't see much.

The first evening out was of most bemusing sort.
Birds of a feather flock together. Featherless birds, erm, don't fly.
What YOU lookin' at?
This bakery in one of the supermarkets has quite an interesting command of England. Of course, there are too many blatant and boring examples around. Here's one which needs a bit of wit to understand:
I'm sure they are.
A popia car.
Doesn't really look like one, does it?
A green trishaw. Well, it's not actually green, but the lighting makes it green, well maybe it's ALSO green, yes, but, oh nevermind.

The next day was quite curious. For one, it's not pleasant to wake up to such a fugly building outside your window:
Where the fuck do they get the money to build monstrosities like this?
To cleanse the visual palate of that obscene vision, camwhore!
Studies have confirmed that I am indeed sexy. Mwahahaah.

Botanical gardens are great places to get nice pictures. One is the classic bug on a plant pic that is ALWAYS near impossible to get. NEAR impossible, that is.
Yellow butterfly on green leaf. Classic.
Of course, you sometimes end up with absurd things like this tree:
The flowers are downright weird, and the fruit grow out of the middle of the trunk. What the fuck?
Beaches are another classic photography spot. Unfortunately, Penang seems to have a shortage of good shoreline, despite being an island. How dumb is that?
It's a big sea. And it's dirty.
And dead crabs.
Despite being so pretty-ful, they're also pretty much dead.

Cornwallis is a funny name. Like, the corn wall is? Is what? Soft? Mushy? Smelly? Like your genital warts? No matter.
There's nothing like a family photo to put you right in the proof of action.
I found this picture quite funny. Apparently I look like a pirate. Maybe I should make bootleg VCDs.
Arr there, matey. Gimme all your DVDs current up to last year! Arr...

The old chapel in that fort is still there. Freaky-ish.
It's like going into a tomb. Which is incidentally what we are doing everytime we step into Sunway Pyramid.

Some brands die hard. They found THIS in an archeological dig:
I wonder if it smelt the same then as it does now. Eww...

I found a pony! A horny one, by the looks of it.
Talk about horsecock.

No British fort would be complete without those large cannon they have all over the place. Extremely male thing to do, if you catch my drift.
Large brass cannon with these roundish twirly things.
Just to show the relative size of that thing:
It's slightly smaller than my, erm, cannon. Mwahahahah!

All that brouhaha about a dead tree.
Here's the famous log that was in the news for awhile. I don't really understand the fuss about it, besides the fact that it takes valuable space on a sidewalk on which people could scribble graffitti instead.

Had dinner in Gurney Drive, which by the way is NOT the place to go to eat in Penang. Like, there was practically NOTHING there to makan. What a ripoff. There was more just outside the hotel. Cheeseass. We ate seafood. Which is exactly my point.

Next, and last, day, we headed off to Penang Hill. Or Bukit Bendera. Which doesn't make any sense, because I always thought that Bendera meant flag, not Penang. Stupid garblement.

The rides are all damn slow. It took us like an hour waiting for the damn cable car to start moving, and it took another half hour to reach the top. And the scary thing is that there is NO safety cable. If this one snaps, we slide all the way to the bottom at increasing velocity and pray that the emergency brakes work and don't cause the tracks to tear off the hillside and send the whole caboose careening down the treacherously steep slope.
On a collision course!
Dangerous ride done, there was absolutely NOTHING to do on that accursed lump of mud. Well, maybe eat chickpeas, but that was about it. Nothing to do, and nothing to see except a smoggy view of the island, and a hugeass police station and post office. Even bigger than the ones in Subang. The whole hill's population is probably employed in those two buildings.

Okay, fine. There was ONE thing to see:
Phallic cloud.
It kinda reminds you of something, no?

At the end, this was basically what I did for three days:
The island.

What I have learnt on this trip:

~Ipoh and Penang are damn similar.
~The buildings are all old and on the verge of collapsing into a pile of fetid rubble. How rubble can be fetid, I do not know.
~There is a disproportionate number of old people and lala people in both Ipoh and Penang.
~Contrary to popular belief, there is NOTHING to eat in either Ipoh or Penang.
~The Ipoh and Penang food from Subang is definitely better.
~In the three days of holiday, I have seen no chicks worthy of any mention in either Ipoh, or Penang.
~There are many BodyGlove shops on the stupid island. Which doesn't make any sense.
~There are whole stretches of road on Penang that house only schools. Like, why the hell do you need 5 schools on the same fucking road?
~Islanders, both Singaporean and Penangites, are damn small people.
~My hair looks damn nice now. I think I almost look cute.

Meh.

7 comments:

Asyraf Lee said...

Wah... so many photos.

They too small or you're the one too big? :P

quicksilverlining said...

everyone is smaller. mwahahaha.

and no chicks. damn sad.

e2wen~* said...

You ONE post beats my four. Lolx.

quicksilverlining said...

one post is bloody long. my eyes oso blur liaoz. can't read yours, lolz.

pok xian said...

it took me i think four times of refreshing on my browser before i could actually view all the pictures.

Hmmm, very interesting pictures of a pony and the cloud.

Bodyglove shops eh? Hmmm well i think i know an explanation for that one.

No food in penang? Sure boh?

quicksilverlining said...

sure leh. nothing good to eat la. damn weird. the best food we had was right outside the hotel. we were kinda expecting foodstalls all over the place like in KL, tapi takde. aperla pulau pulau ini.

Phat Culture said...

*pheeeeuuuweet*